Google

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Adding Pizazz!!



After my ranger was a total loss, I decided to replace it with a 2005 F150 extended cab pickup. This truck is red with gray trim at the lower part of the body, chrome bumpers, and chrome wheels (from the factory). Many of the more expensive trucks have some type of wheel-well moldings of a contrasting color or chrome – this one did not. I thought my truck needed a little more “pizazz” from the side view.

After shopping around I chose chrome fender /wheelwell moldings purchased from a local parts store for about $80.00. The four moldings came with a sheet of instructions and a package of screws and clips. Because of my automotive experience, I knew the screws were to hold the moldings on and holes had to be drilled into the sheet metal lip of the wheelwell opening – but nothing was mentioned in the instructions about this or the purpose of the clips and there is no picture the procedure.

You must hold the chrome to the lip of the fender so you can drill through the molding holes (pre-drilled) once it is in place.
The instructions said to drill a 1/8” hole and screw in the screws provided. The bad part of this instruction is that the screws are much smaller than the 1/8” hole you were instructed to drill in the body. Solution= bigger screws or change the 1/8” bit to a smaller bit.
I think the finished product looks great. Well worth $80.00 and 45 minutes installation time.

No comments: